Home care services are there to help seniors live in the comfort of their own homes. They can be a great resource for seniors who would like to stay independent but may need some assistance with day-to-day tasks. In Home Care Services Melbourne can also provide companionship and lend a reliable hand when needed—but how do you know if your loved one needs home care?
1. Check for safety hazards
- A safety hazard is anything that could cause harm if it is not handled properly. This includes both physical and mental hazards, such as:
- Falling down stairs or tripping over objects in the home.
- Getting burned on hot surfaces or from using the stove.
- Injuries from falling down stairs or tripping over objects in the yard.
- Being hit by cars when walking around the community.
2. Help with activities of daily living
In addition to monitoring, home care services can help with activities of daily living. This includes tasks like bathing, dressing, eating, and taking medication. If you’re no longer able to drive yourself around town or even just across the street to pick up groceries, home health care providers can assist.
They can also assist with pet care, yard work, and maintaining the house as well as cooking meals for your loved one (or you!). In addition to these common examples of assistance from in-home caregivers, many other tasks may fall under this broad category depending on the specific needs of a senior who is living alone at home: showering/bathing; shaving/grooming; laundry; housekeeping; gardening; shopping
3. Provide companionship
According to the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), one in 10 Americans age 65 or older lives alone. This can be especially true for seniors who are widowed, divorced, or never married. If you’re caring for a senior with health issues and have no children at home to help out, you may find yourself spending more time with your loved one than ever before.
For caregivers like you, who often feel isolated while taking care of their loved ones 24/7, companionship is just as vital! You’ll get regular breaks from being by yourself while keeping busy doing something meaningful with another person—something that improves both parties’ mental health while providing some much-needed company besides family members who may live far away.
4. Lend a reliable hand
- Help with household chores.
- Transport seniors to medical appointments and other outings.
- Assist with shopping, medication management, money management, and bill paying services such as banking services or paying bills online.
- Help seniors maintain their independence by providing personal assistance services such as grooming (bathing and dressing), housekeeping (cleaning), or laundry services.
In Home Care Services Melbourne takes the time to listen to your needs and find the best caregiver that meets those needs. They are also trained in all aspects of caregiving, so they can provide assistance around the house and keep seniors safe at home.